HealthSouth Rehabilitation Hospital is offering free stroke screening for those who have suffered from a stroke through their Second Chance Stroke Program.
Screening appointments are available Thursday, May 17 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at HealthSouth Bakersfield Rehabilitation Hospital at 5001 Commerce Dr. Screenings are free and available by appointment only.
Patients who have had a stroke in the past but still experience one or more of the following symptoms may qualify for the Second Chance Stroke Program:
• Residual weakness on one or both sides
• Deficits in swallowing
• Limited mobility or inability to walk greater than 20 feet
• Oral or written communication deficits
• Cognitive deficits from the stroke
• Trouble completing daily tasks such as bathing or getting dressed
• Frequent falls
• Increased weakness or decline in functionality, recently, especially if following an illness, infection or fall