BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — The Kern County Sheriff's Office is looking for volunteers who are interested in working with local law enforcement through the Citizen Service Unit.
This volunteer program allows people to experience different law enforcement roles, and share their talents with the community and Sheriff's Office by patrolling the area.
Volunteers "observe and report" in various ways and represent the Sheriff's Office at public functions and events.
All volunteer members have an interest in helping KCSO and their local community. CSU groups are in multiple areas of the county, so members usually participate in the group nearest to where they live.
The requirements are as follows:
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- At least 21 years old
- Have no recent serious criminal convictions
- No misdemeanor convictions for past 2 years
- Obtain approval of a Group Coordinator
- Complete the 24-hour Volunteer Services Academy
- Contribute at least 8 hours each month / Regularly attend group meetings
- Must be a Kern County resident
- Must pass background check and oral interview
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact the Volunteer Services Unit at 661-391-7659