On September 6, 2018 Metro Patrol deputies responded to Pioneer Drive and Edison Highway for a call of shots fired. Upon arrival, the Sheriff's Office helicopter located a Black Jeep SUV nearby in the orchards.
According to deputies, the Jeep appeared to be trying to evade deputies.
KCSO said that the Sheriff's Office helicopter then saw a man exiting the vehicle and fleeing the area on a quad. The suspect, later identified as 34-year-old Jose Castillo, crashed the quad near Vineland Drive and Breckenridge Road where he was taken into custody.
Deputies said that they located several firearms with ammunition inside the Jeep SUV as well as spent shell casings and beer.
The following firearms were located by deputies:
- A Glock 17 9mm pistol, reported stolen to the Oceanside Police Department.
- A Glock 23 40 cal. pistol which was reported stolen to the Bakersfield Police Department
- A RAS47 (AK47) short barreled rifle with a 40-round magazine
- An EP Armory AR15 rifle with no serial numbers and two 30 round magazines
- A Sig Sauer 9mm pistol with no record of ownership and a high capacity magazine.
Deputies reported that the Glock 17 pistol had a modified sear selector switch installed which allows the pistol to fire full auto. The EP Armory AR15 rifle was also modified to fire full auto with an aftermarket trigger sear.
Castillo was booked on multiple weapons violations and evading arrest. Deputies also booked a second suspect, Enrique Castillo, for vehicle code violations.