As shoppers make their way down their holiday shopping list, the Kern County Auto Theft Taskforce wants to remind the public of another list to keep in mind.
Vehicle owners and drivers can prevent their cars from being broken into and getting gifts and other things stolen by following these safety tips:
- Lock your vehicle and park it in a well-lit area
- If your vehicle is equipped with an alarm, make sure it's activated
- Use a theft deterrent such as a steering wheel club or brake pedal lock
- Do not loan your vehicle to people you do not know well
- Do not leave your vehicle running while unattended
- Be aware of people who may be watching you when you leave your vehicle unattended
Reporting something anonymously can be done by sending a text message to BPD. Enter 274637 and text "BPDCRIMES" along with a message. This will be received by the police department.