BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — Kern County represented at California History Day with several groups winning their categories at the state competition.
Over the weekend, participants competed against students from all over California.
California History Day is a competition where students create historical projects in one of five categories: documentary, exhibit, paper, performance, or website. Using primary and secondary sources, participants focus their projects around an annual theme This year's theme is "Triumph & Tragedy in History."
Congratulations are in order for these local students who won their categories:
- Madeline Abernathy of Bakersfield Christian High School - Senior Individual Performance
- Dane Kassube and Thomas Gnacke of Discovery Elementary - Junior Group Documentary
- Gianna Nicomedes of Earl Warren Junior High - Junior Individual Exhibit
- Evan Taw of Fruitvale Junior High School - Junior Individual Website
- Thomas Wilson of Discovery Elementary - Elementary Individual Poster
- J.R. Olson and Mikayla Wagoner of Highland Elementary School - Elementary Group Poster
State winners in the senior (grades 9-12) and junior (grades 6-8) categories will move onto the National History Day, which will be held in Maryland, June 9-12.