BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — The Kern High School District will be opening a new comprehensive high school in August 2022 and they are asking for the communities help coming up with a name.
As part of the Name Our Next School Contest, all suggested names for the Southeast Bakersfield high school will be considered by the district Superintendent's Screening Committee for the naming of new facilities using the following criteria:
- shall be free from biases prejudices, political or religious connotations
- shall not recognize an individual
- shall take into consideration location, community and local heritage
Committee review of submitted school names will also be subject to District guidelines for the naming of schools that recommend—but do not mandate—that school names:
- Don't begin with the first letter in the name of another KHSD school
- don't limit mascot selection
- Is not the same name as another school in the San Joaquin Valley
- Is of appropriate length
Individuals who submit the school name approved by the KHSD Board of Trustees, will receive a school cap and sweatshirt.
To submit an online entry, you can enter your suggestion here .
Paper forms are available at the KHSD office located at 5801 Sundale Avenue and can be completed and brought to Noelle Martin in the Public Information Office.
Construction for the new high school will begin in 2020.