News

Actions

People set bed on fire trying to kill insect

Web_Promo_Image_960x720.png
Posted at 10:46 AM, Apr 18, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-18 13:48:32-04

Occupants of a home caught a bed on fire while trying to kill an insect Sunday evening.

At about 10 p.m., Bakersfield Fire Department firefighters were sent to a home at 704 Knott Street regarding a fire.

Crews learned that the occupants said that they had attempted to kill an insect in a bedroom utilizing a cigarette lighter, and inadvertently ignited a mattress and bedding.

The mattress and bedding were removed from the structure and extinguished and overhauled, and the structure ventilated.

BFD Firefighters advise against using an open flame device for any purpose other than what it’s designed for.

No one was injured in the fire.