Shots ring out at Ridgeview High post-prom party

Posted at 4:35 PM, May 02, 2016
and last updated 2016-05-02 22:18:28-04

Gunshots can be heard in a cell phone video taken of a post-prom house party Saturday night. 

The incident happened Saturday night. Students told 23 ABC off camera that after the prom, dozens of students went to the quiet southwest neighborhood for a party. 

Neighbors of the southwest Bakersfield home where the party took place said their neighborhood is usually a quiet, beautiful place to live. They said Saturday night dozens of students from Ridgeview High School gathered for a post-prom party, and got loud. 

In the video, you can see a fight breaking out, about seven seconds in, you can hear the sound of gunshots then panic as students run for cover.

Neighbors who spoke to 23 ABC didn't want to be identified, but said the party sounded loud, and out of control. 

“We heard a lot of screaming and that’s when my husband went out because I got scared,” one neighbor said. She said she heard people fighting and then a gunshot so she called 911. 

Bakersfield Police Department said they responded to the area after reports of gunfire just before 1:00 a.m. on Saturday night.

“And once they saw the cops pull up they ran// kids just running away, driving out, just peeling out of the streets it was crazy," said the neighbor. 

BPD said when they arrived people were all over the streets. Officials said no one was injured in the incident, but shell casings were found.  

“You wouldn’t think in this neighborhood something like that would happen," another neighbor, who also did not want to be identified said.

Residents said this isn't the first time a large party at that house has taken place. Now, neighbors want consequences for the students involved, as well as their parents.

“Teenagers are going to do what they want to do, and I’d like to know where the parents were, they should’ve been there," said one neighbor. 

The Principal of Ridgeview High School, Steve Holmes, said he was aware of the incident and said there was extra security on campus Monday. However because the event happened off-campus, they let the city authorities assume the investigation. 

23ABC tried knocking on the door of the house Monday afternoon, but no one answered.