Jose Vilorio's cause and manner of death still pending after incident with Bakersfield police

Officers placed on administrative leave
Posted at 6:09 PM, Oct 03, 2016
and last updated 2016-10-10 17:01:20-04

UPDATE (Oct. 10, 2016, 1:57 p.m.): The coroner's office shared that the cause and manner of death are pending.

Jose Vilorio was involved in an altercation with Bakersfield police on October 3, 2016 around 12:11 a.m. when he became unresponsive. He was then transported to San Joaquin Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.


UPDATE (Oct. 4, 2016, 10:25 a.m.): Bakersfield police have released the name of the suspect and officers involved in a Sunday night incident in South Bakersfield.

The suspect is 63-year-old Jose Cesar Vilorio.

Officer Zachary Burdick, who was hired on March 10, 2014, and Officer Timothy McIrvin, who was hired on July 10, 2006, were both officers present during the Sunday incident.

“At this time, we will not be releasing details regarding the specific type of force used to take Mr. Vilorio into custody," Sergeant Gary Carruesco shared. "Once all personnel, witnesses and involved parties have been interviewed, we will disseminate that information. This is still an active and ongoing investigation and we want to ensure that any details we release will not compromise the integrity of the case.”


Bakersfield police arrested a man who stole several items and threatened to kill a victim with a machete Sunday around 11:50 p.m. in South Bakersfield.

The suspect stole several items from the victim in the 1800 block of Lacey Street and when the victim tried to get his items back, the suspect brandished a machete and threatened to kill him.

Officers used force to detain the suspect after he resisted. After he was taken into custody, officers noticed he was not breathing and could not find his pulse.

The suspect was taken to the hospital in critical condition and arrested for terrorist threats, assault with a deadly weapon and resisting an officer. The machete was recovered.

The incident is being investigated as a critical incident. Two officers involved were put on administrative leave.