The U.S. Postal Service announced that Monday, December 19, will be the busiest mailing day of the year.
Of the 12 million customers visiting the nation’s 31,000 plus post offices, 7 million will visit the world’s largest post office.
“With a click of your mouse you can ship from your house,” said U.S. Postal Service Chief Customer and Marketing Officer and Executive Vice President Jim Cochrane, referring to the ability to schedule next-day package pickup online at usps.com.
At usps.com, customers can purchase stamps, calculate postage, mail packages and conduct virtually any service offered at brick-and-mortar post offices and expedite the time spent at the post office:
- Buy Stamps and Mailing Supplies — Visit the Postal Store to purchase stamps and order free shipping supplies, including boxes.
- Calculate Postage — The postage price calculator provides estimates for mailing packages, domestically or internationally.
- Ship Packages — Use Click-N-Ship as a stress-free tool to pay postage and print shipping labels for holiday gifts from a mobile device or desktop computer. Sign up to start creating shipping labels and pay for the postage online.
- Schedule a Free Package Pickup — Schedule a Pickup and a carrier will pick up the package during regular delivery. Multiple pickups can be requested once an account is created. Letter carriers pick up shipments free during regular mail delivery for customers using an expedited service such as Priority Mail Express, Priority Mail, First-Class Package Service, International or a Return Service.
- Ship Internationally — Make international shipping easier when printing a shipping label from home. Use the built-in address form to transfer information into country-specific customs forms.
- Track Packages — My USPS is an easy way to receive updates for incoming packages with real-time delivery notifications available within a few minutes of the delivery scan for select packages. My USPS filters updates for all incoming packages into one central dashboard accessible on mobile devices and desktop computers.
- Hold Mail — Going away for the holidays? Take advantage of the Request Hold Mail Service. All your mail is kept safely at the local Post Office until you return.
- Forward Mail — For a fee, mail can be held, packaged and shipped weekly by Priority Mail using Premium Forward Service.
Delivering for the Holidays
The Postal Service expects to deliver approximately 16 billion cards, letters and packages this holiday season. As the world’s largest e-commerce deliverer, the Postal Service is projecting about 750 million packages will be delivered this holiday season, a 12-percent increase compared to last year.