BAKERSFIELD, CA. — This month is Hispanic Latino Heritage Month and we are celebrating our different cultures at 23ABC.
For this week's Foodie Friday, 23ABC's Daniela Garrido, showed us how to make Venezuelan Arepas with the help of her mom in Miami.
The recipe is easy and only requires four ingredients:
1 cup of corn flour (P.A.N is the recommended brand)
1 cup of water
1 teaspoon of salt
1 spoon of olive oil
1. Pour 1 cup of water in a bowl.
2. Mix salt, olive oil, and arepa flour into bowl.
3. Knead to form a flat dough ball.
4. Heat griddle or cast iron skillet with oil over medium-high heat. Add arepas and cook for about 5 minutes on each side until golden brown.
5. Using a knife, cut arepas down center but leaving the back ends attached.
6. Stuff arepas with black beans, plantains, avocado, eggs, or really any ingredient of your choice.