BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! Summer is the perfect time to indulge in your favorite sweet treat and that is what this week’s Simply Sweet is all about… ice cream!
We take you on an ice cream tour around Bakersfield. Our first stop is to Rosemary’s Family Creamery where we learn to make the perfect Blondie sundae. Next, we head over to By The Way Café to make paletas. Then we go to The Padre Hotel to make a beer float!
I then share a recipe for no-churn, dairy free mint chocolate chip ice cream. I am dairy free, so I wanted to give others with the same dietary restrictions, an option to eat ice cream this summer! This recipe is so easy to make because everything goes into a blender and then straight to the freezer, no ice cream machine needed!
1 can coconut cream (NOT milk)
½ cup fresh spinach leaves, peel off stems (for coloring)
10 to 12 fresh mint leaves (more or less depending on your liking)
6 Tbsp. sugar
½ tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. mint extract (can substitute peppermint extract)
½ cup mini chocolate chips
1. Add the fresh spinach and mint leaves and about 1/3 of the can of coconut cream to a high-powered blender.
2. Blend on high until the spinach is broken down completely.
3. Add in sugar, vanilla and mint extracts ,and the rest of the coconut cream.
4. Blend until smooth and a light green color.
5. Pour into a bread pan.
6. Place in freezer for about an hour.
7. Pull out the pan and stir with a spoon. At this point, the top will be slightly hard but the bottom will still be liquid.
8. Once you have mixed, add in the chocolate chips.
9. Place back in the freezer for three more hours, or until the mixture is completely solid.
10. Let the ice cream soften for 15 minutes before serving!
11. Enjoy your no-churn, dairy free mint chocolate chip ice cream!