BAKESFIELD, Calif. — Three weeks ago, 3-year-old Carlos Sanchez was roasting marshmallows against a fire pit when he leaned in too close and caught his shirt on fire. After spending most of the month in the Grossman Burn Center at Memorial Hospital, little Carlos is finally home.
Carlos was severely burned and required stitches and skin graphs. He has been recovering since April 6.
On Wednesday morning, hospital staff and members of the Bakersfield Firefighter Burn Foundation gathered to help send Carlos home.
"We’re tired, but happy to leave," said Raquel Sanchez, Carlos’ mother. "With everyone here, it’s been really emotional."
Officials with the burn center want to remind people it only takes a moment for a child to get too close to a stove or flame.