BAKERSFEILD, Calif. — Millions who have viewed his videos on social media know him for the way he chugs milk from a bucket.
Now, he is fighting for his life.
'Chug,' Bakersfield's famous calf, was rushed to an animal hospital Wednesday morning when he was found unresponsive by his owner Jerry Garcia.
Veterinarians at the Bakersfield Large Animal Hospital off Taft Highway believe some kind of infection caused 'Chug' to go into septic or hypovelemic shock.
"This calf came into us this morning cold, very dehydrated," Dr. John Tolley said.
Hector M. Gonzalez, another veterinarian assisting the calf, said Chug "was in pretty grave condition when he came in."
Throughout the day however, he started to improve when antibiotics and electrolytes were administered.
Garcia said his best friend Chug has "to stick around ... he's been one of these animals that brings a lot of joy to a lot of people."
Since all the stardom, Garcia said there has also been several people who have sent him hateful messages, questioning whether he will produce veal out of Chug.
Garcia wanted to make it clear on Wednesday, that those are not his intentions.
"We don't eat veal, we think that's actually really cruel."
Tolley said Chug's symptoms are not unusual, but rather "very common in young mammals."
Chug was healthy enough to be released back to Garcia by 5 p.m. Wednesday, but the young calf is due for multiple checkups in the following days.
For now, Garcia is asking for prayers.