BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — The sentencing of Leslie Chance, the former school principal who was found guilty of murder in the death of her husband, was postponed again.
Chance’s defense attorney Tony Lidgett said he hopes to get a new trial.
“We wrote a motion, it looks like it is a very strong motion to get a new trial,” said Lidgett.
Chance was convicted in January and was scheduled to be sentenced in March. Her sentencing was postponed after she was hospitalized due to pneumonia. Currently Chance is being held at the Lerdo Pretrial Facility where multiple inmates and deputies have tested positive for COVID-19. She is not being transported to the courthouse because the facility is on lockdown and not allowing any visitation.
On Tuesday Lidgett also said a woman his team didn’t know of previously has come forward, sharing information that he says would have been helpful during the trial. The defense is now working to get access to a recording that could possibly have information from the witness.
Previously Lidgett filed a motion of juror misconduct in connection to the trial after a juror came forward. Today the court will send letters to every juror to determine if they want their information to be released to the prosecution and defense.
“The DA’s office what they want to do is they want to speak to other people to determine the veracity of the one juror that did come forward,” said Lidgett.
23ABC reached out to the District Attorney's office who said they would like to get as much information as possible so they can do a thorough investigation.
The next court date is set for May 20. During that time the court will do a status check on which jurors agree to share their information with the defense and prosecution.