Friday will mark the beginning of Mental Health Awareness month and Kern Behavioral Health and Recovery Services has scheduled a series of events all month to bring awareness.
Here are a list of the events and activities planned:
• May 1 – Help us kick off Mental Health Awareness Month as we light the Kern County Administrative Building GREEN! Tune into the KernBHRS social media channels at dusk to watch the event live.
• May 4 – We want to see your creative side. Take crayons, paint or colored pencils to one of these coloring sheets and hang your artwork in a window in your home on May 8. See how many you can spot in your neighborhood.
• May 8-10 – If you’ve been waiting for an epic scavenger hunt (social distancing style, of course), KernBHRS has you covered. Local art group Creative Crossings will transform parts of Oleander into chalk masterpieces. Load the family in the car to see how many pieces you can find.
• May 15 – Enjoy a Movie Night at home celebrating Mental Health Awareness Month! Grab popcorn and other favorite snacks and join our Facebook Watch Party at 7 p.m. for a viewing of The Soloist. Follow our social media channels for a list of family-friendly movies that explore mental health.
• May 22 – Everyone faces challenges in life that can impact their mental health. KernBHRS will bring together local mental health experts for our on digital “How Do You Thrive” panel at 3 p.m. Gain insights into mental health, how to identify stressors, and how to find the best outlets for you to manage symptoms.
• May 25 – Mental Health Superhero! Sport superhero gear
•May 26 – Rockin’ out in May! Dress as your favorite musician
•May 27 – We’re in this together! Pick someone and be twins for the day
•May 28 – Get crazy for May! Wear crazy hair and/or socks!
•May 29 – Get loud with Green! Wear green to show support for Mental Health Awareness Month.
Send your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org and you may be feature on some on KernBHRS social media channels.