ReboundGetting Back To Work


Local restaurants and businesses can now apply for temporary operations permit to expand outdoor service

Posted at 6:01 PM, May 19, 2020
and last updated 2020-05-19 21:03:07-04

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — Kern County Administrative Officer Ryan Alsop announced Tuesday that local businesses and restaurants can now apply for a temporary operations permit to expand outdoor service, as they begin to reopen.

This announcement coming just hours after the county approved a measure to request permission from the state to move further into Phase 2 of reopening. If the state approves the measure, county businesses and restuarants could reopen as early as this weekend.

According to the County Natural Resources Department, the following items are needed to begin processing the permit:

  • Site address of restaurant or retail operation
  • Description or summary of proposed outdoor dining or operations plan
  • Square footage
  • Location of alternate operations plan (parking lot or sidewalk adjacent to business, etc.)
  • Any tents or coverings to be used
  • If a tent or covering is over 400 square feet, a formal building permit will be required from the Fire Department.

*Site plan is not needed
Permit requests are to be sent to