BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — Nine businesses in Kern County are announcing layoffs coming, according to WARN letters sent to the Kern County Board of Supervisors, due to the coronavirus pandemic.
According the letters the following businesses announced layoffs:
- Guitar Center, located at 3428 Ming Avenue, said it is temporarily closing its doors and furloughing 31 employees.
- Ensign, located at 1600 East Belle Terrace, said it will experience a reduction in its workforce across the state.
- Johns Incredible Pizza, located at 3709 Rosedale Highway, said it is closing its doors and temporarily furloughing 116 employees.
- Rogers Jewelry, located at 9500 Rosedale Highway, is furloughing 11 employees.
- Lucille's, located at 2701 Ming Avenue, said it is temporarily closing and furloughing 51 hourly employees.
- IN-Shape, located at 3409 Coffee Road, is laying off 75 employees.
- The Padre Hotel, located at 1702 18th Street, is furloughing 126 employees.
- Macy's, located inside Valley Plaza Mall at 2601 Ming Avenue, is furloughing 184 employees.
- Caleres Inc. Distribution Center, located at 5621 Dennis McCarthy Drive in Lebec, is permanently laying off 92 employees.
- All of the letters referenced the current coronavirus situation and Governor Gavin Newsom's emergency order as the cause of the layoffs. Some letters said the actions were temporary and dependent on the the governor lifting the emergency order.