There has been potentially shigella exposure at Urbane Café on Mt. Vernon Avenue, after a person diagnosed with Shigellosis was working at the restaurant from October 2 through October 15, 2018.
According to Kern Public Health, Shigellosis is a contagious diarrheal illness caused by a bacteria called Shigella.
People who are infected with Shigella may develop diarrhea, fever, and stomach cramps starting a day or two after exposure to the bacteria. Shigellosis usually resolves in 5 to 7 days and may require medical treatment. Some people who are infected may have no symptoms at all, but children, elderly, pregnant women, or people who have weakened immune systems can develop a more serious illness.
Shigella is often transmitted in food handed by an infected person. The risk of spread can be reduced by frequent hand washing with soap.
Anyone who has eaten food from Urbane Café between October 2 and October 15 may have been exposed to the bacteria and should watch for symptoms until October 18.