This week on Simply Sweet Allison we made candied walnuts. They are perfect sweet treat for snacking, topping on ice cream or your favorite salad and would pair perfectly with a cheese plate. They have the perfect balance of sweet and salty with a crunch you cant resist.
I used walnuts but pecans would be great as well. You can make these to your liking by adding cayenne pepper for a hint of spice, or cinnamon to give it even more flavor.
- 1 TBSP. butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup walnuts
- Melt butter and sugar over medium heat, about 3 minutes.
- Once the mixture starts bubbling and turning a golden color, it is time to add the walnuts.
- Stir until ever nook and cranny is coated with the caramelized sugar.
- When the nuts are caramelized, but not burned, transfer to a tray lined with parchment paper.
- immediately start to separate the nuts. If not, they will harden into one big clump.
- Cool slightly and enjoy as a snack, or top on ice cream or a salad.